560 g (4 x 250 ml) cake flour
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Mix the flour, sugar, cream of tartar and salt together.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the milk.
- Beat the eggs and add the vanilla essence.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda and beaten eggs to the flour mixture.
- Mix well to form a smooth dough.
- Cover the dough with plastic foil and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out to 4 mm thickness and press out with cookie cutter of your choice.
- Place on greased baking tray.
- Sprinkle each biscuit with a little extra sugar.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes until done.
- Leave to cool and sprinkle with more white sugar.