Pork Sausage Plait
15 ml (1 T) sunflower oil
½ large onion, finely chopped
5 ml (1 t) garlic, crushed
10 ml (2 t) Huletts White Sugar
5 ml (1 t) salt
5 ml (1 t) black pepper
10 ml (2 t) fresh parsley, chopped
3 ml (½ t) fresh thyme, chopped
500 g pork sausages, skins removed
1 roll puff pastry – shop bought
1 extra large egg - beaten
45 ml (3 T) butter
1 ½ large onions, thinly sliced
60 ml (4 T) Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Grease a large baking tray.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry until translucent and lightly brown.
- Place the onion and garlic in a bowl, add the white sugar, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme and pork sausages, and mix until well combined.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Carefully place the pastry on to the greased baking tray.
- Spoon the filling down the centre of the pastry in a thick sausage shape, leaving a third of the pastry on each end.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry at a slight diagonal, on either side of the filling, into 1.5 cm strips, cutting the same number on each side.
- Fold the top and bottom edges of the pastry over the filling. Starting at the top, lay the pasty strips over the filling, taking one from each side, to cross like a plait.
- Brush with the beaten egg and bake until golden brown.
- Serve with caramelised onion and salad.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the onion, brown sugar, salt and pepper and simmer over a low heat until caramelised.