Purple Pearl Cake
- Make the vanilla sponge and allow to cool completely.
- Cut each layer in half, horizontally using a serrated bread knife.
- Sandwich the cakes together with a spread of the buttercream icing.
- Divide the remaining icing into 3 bowls. Use the food colouring to dye the icing, one pale, one medium and the final a deep shade of the same colour.
- Use a pallet knife to cover the bottom third of the cake with the deepest colour. It’s fine if the icing is rough, it will be smoothed out later.
- Cover the middle third with the medium colour and spread top third and on top with pale icing.
- Run a clean, warm palette knife around the cake to smooth out and blend the three colours.
- Dot edible pearls around the cake.