Rainbow Crumpets with Ice Cream and Chocolate Syrup
Makes 20 crumpets
250 ml (1 cup) cake wheat flour
10 ml (2 t) baking powder
1 ml (pinch) salt
30 ml (2 T) Huletts White Sugar
1 extra large egg
200 ml full cream milk
15 ml (1 T) butter, melted
Gel food colouring in red, green, yellow, blue and purple
Ice cream to serve
Huletts Chocolate Syrup or Huletts Golden Syrup to serve
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl, add the sugar.
- Beat the egg, milk and butter together and gently fold into the flour mixture until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between 5 bowls. Add one of the gel colours into each bowl until the desired depth of colour is reached.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of oil into a frying pan and place over medium heat. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the batter into the heated frying pan, making 2 crumpets.
- When the batter starts to bubble, turn over, using an egg lifter. Fry for 1 minute more on the other side.
- Remove from the frying pan and place on a wire cake rack to cool.
- When you have 1 or 2 of each colour, stack them, alternating the colours.
- Serve warm with ice cream and Huletts Syrup.
Hint: If you make large crumpets, you may spread cream on top of each layer, then drizzle syrup over the stack and slice it like a rainbow crumpet cake.