Red Velvet Cream Cheese Brownies
Makes 10-20, depending on size
120 g butter, melted
200 g (1 cup) Huletts White Sugar
5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
60 ml (¼ cup) cocoa powder
1 ml (pinch) salt
30 ml (2 T) red gel food colouring
5 ml (1 t) apple cider vinegar
2 extra-large eggs
105g (¾ cup) cake flour
For Cream Cheese Layer
125 g cream cheese, softened
50 g (¼ cup) Huletts White Sugar
1 extra-large egg
3 ml (½ t) vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Line a 20 cm x 20 cm square baking tin with baking paper extending over the sides of the baking tin. This is to enable you to remove the brownies from the tin. Spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Pour the butter into a large bowl and add the sugar, vanilla essence, cocoa powder, salt, food colouring, and vinegar together, mixing well after each addition with a wooden spoon.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift the flour and fold into the egg mixture a little at a time until well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, reserving about 1/3 of a cup for the top layer.
- In a separate bowl whisk the cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla essence together until smooth.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the batter. Spoon dollops of the reserved brownie mixture over the cream cheese. Use a skewer or knife to create large swirls in the batter.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the cream cheese is just set on top. Leave in tin to cool. Cut into squares – not too small, or shapes of your choice.
- Once cool gently lift the brownies of the tin using the baking paper as leverage. Place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Hint: To store - cover and keep in refrigerator.