Roast Chicken with Cranberry Orange Glaze and Sauce
1 Large chicken (1.7 - 2kg)
15 ml (1T) granted orange rind
1 onion, peeled and quarted
Salt and pepper to taste
250ml (1 cup) freshly squeezed orange juice
185ml (¾ cup) Huletts Brown Sugar
1 jar cranberry sauce
30ml (2T) butter
- Remove the giblets from the chicken and cut the oil gland off the tail.
- Spread the grated orange around the cavity of the chicken and the onion.
- Season the skin of the chicken with salt and pepper and roast at 180°C for 45 minutes.
- Place the orange juice, Huletts Brown Sugar, and cranberry sauce in a saucepan, while stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Bring the mixture to the boil, add the cinnamon stick and butter, reduce heat to a simmer, while stirring, until the cranberry sauce has melted and the glaze is bubbling, +/- 10 minutes.
- Brush the glaze over the roasted chicken and roast for a further 45 minutes or until cooked, baste at regular intervals.
- Add the juices from the roasting pan to the remaining glaze and serve as a sauce. If too thin, you can thicken with cornflour or brown onion soup powder.
- Serve the roast chicken with roast potatoes and roast vegetables.
Chicken freezes well and leftovers make great chicken may rolls.