Roast Tomato Soup
12 large tomatoes, quartered
45 ml (3 T) Huletts Brown Sugar
2 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs parsley
30 ml (2 T) olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 sticks celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
500 ml (2 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
60 ml (4 T) tomato paste
8 ml (1 ½ t) salt
5 ml (1 t) coarsely ground black pepper
15 ml (1 T) Huletts Brown Sugar
6 basil leaves – dried
- Place the tomatoes, in a baking tray, and sprinkle with the 45ml Huletts brown sugar, add the thyme and parsley and roast at 180°C for 25 minutes. Discard the herb sprigs.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, celery and garlic and simmer for about 3 minutes until soft.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, stock, tomato paste, salt and pepper, 15ml Huletts brown sugar and basil leaves, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the basil leaves and liquidise.
- Adjust seasoning if needed and garnish with basil pesto and crumbled feta.