Roasted Baby Root Vegetables
Serves 4 as a side dish
125 ml (½ cup) vegetable or chicken stock
250 g baby carrots, halved lengthways, if desired
250 g baby turnips, halved
4 sprigs fresh thyme
30 ml (2 T) butter
45 ml (3 T) Huletts Maple Syrup
8 spring onions, washed and trimmed
250 g pre-cooked baby beetroot, halved
salt flakes and black pepper, to taste
micro herbs, to serve (optional)
- Pour the stock into a medium size saucepan and place over medium heat, add the carrots, turnips and thyme and simmer for +/- 5 minutes.
- Add the butter and 15 ml (1 T) Huletts Maple Syrup.
- Simmer uncovered over high heat for another 10 minutes (or until the vegetables are almost soft).
- Place the spring onions in a pan with 15ml (1 Tsp) olive oil over low to medium heat and sauté until just soft.
- Remove the vegetables from the stock and place on a baking tray.
- Add the baby beetroot and top with the spring onions.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Place the vegetables under the oven grill and lightly grill until the vegetables start to brown. – Keep a watchful eye to avoid the vegetables burning?
- Just before serving, drizzle the vegetables with 30 ml (2 T) Huletts Maple Syrup and place under the oven grill for a further 2 minutes.
- Season to taste. Serve scattered with micro herbs.