Roasted Butternut and Bacon Tart
For the pastry:
190 ml (3/4 C) cake flour
100 g butter
100 g cheddar, grated
For the filling:
1 large butternut
60 ml (1/4 C) Huletts Maple Syrup
45 ml (3 T) olive oil
salt and black pepper
10 rashers streaky bacon
For the cream:
750 ml (3 C) fresh cream
4 extra large eggs
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 160 ˚C.
- To make the pastry, place all the ingredients in a food processor until they are combined and form a ball. If it is a little sticky, add a bit more flour.
- Wrap the pastry in cling wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Press the pastry into a 10 cm x 30 cm loose bottomed tart tin.
- Peel the butternut and cut into 1 cm rounds.
- Place the butternut on a roasting pan, drizzle with Huletts Maple Syrup and olive oil, salt and a good grind of black pepper.
- Roast the butternut for about 30 - 40 minutes until cooked.
- Layer the butternut and the bacon in the tart shell.
- Mix the cream and eggs together and season with salt and pepper. Carefully pour the mixture into the tart and bake for 40 - 50 minutes until golden brown and the cream mixture has set.