Rolled Roast Leg of Lamb
Serves 6 - 8
1 leg of lamb (1 - 1 ½ kg)
4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 spring onions, chopped
250ml (1 cup) crumbled feta
250ml (1 cup) baby spinach leaves, chopped
45ml (3 T) Huletts treacle sugar
3 sprigs rosemary (each about 10 cm long)
10ml (2 t) black pepper
5ml (1 t) ground cumin
5ml (1 t) ground paprika
15ml (1 T) salt
10ml (2 t) garlic salt
20ml (4 t) olive oil
- Carefully debone the leg of lamb and lay flat on a board, fat side down
- Combine the garlic, spring onions, crumbled feta and baby spinach in a bowl and set aside.
- Place all the rub ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Spoon a little of the rub over the meat and rub into the lamb.
- Spread the garlic mixture evenly over the meat.
- Carefully roll the lamb over firmly.
- Secure the rolled lamb at 2cm intervals with cooking string, ensuring that the fatty side of the meat is at the top.
- Rub the rolled lamb with the remainder of the rub, place in a roasting dish with 125ml (½ cup) water, cover with foil and roast for 1 hour at 180°C.
- Turn the heat down to 160°C, and roast for 2½ hours, remove the foil and roast for a further ½ hour.
- Transfer the lamb to the cutting board. Cover with foil and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Carefully remove the string, and carve, serving with roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables.