Roosterbrood with Cheese
- Mix the flour, salt and Huletts white sugar together in a bowl and rub the butter into the flour mixture with your fingertips.
- Add the yeast, mixed herbs, pepper dews and chives to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Add the milk and enough warm water to form a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Cover and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Knock the dough down and divide into 12 equal pieces, flatten and place a heaped teaspoon of grated cheese in the centre of each dough piece.
- Shape into round balls, making sure that no cheese escapes.
- Place the balls on a greased baking tray, leaving enough space between the balls to allow for rising. Cover and leave to rise in a warm place until they have doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Place over a medium braai flame for about 7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Serve with a braai, or with pickles, preserves or cold meats.
Best eaten fresh.