Serves 4 to 6
45 ml (3 T) sunflower oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large green pepper, deseeded, and diced
80 ml (⅓ cup) tomato paste
2 x 400 g tins diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
45 ml (3 T) Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar
30 ml (2 T) salt (the amount sounds excessive)
10 ml (2 t) paprika
8 ml (1 ½ t) ground cumin
5 ml (1 t) ground black pepper
4 – 6 extra large eggs
Chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent +/- 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and pepper and cook until just softened.
- Stir in the tomato paste and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, sugar, salt, paprika, cumin and pepper and allow the mixture to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Carefully crack the eggs into the tomato mixture, cover and simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until the whites of the eggs are no longer translucent.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with fresh bread or rolls.
Hint: For a twist, add chopped sausage meat or left over braai meat to the tomato mix.