Sour Cream Cake with Lavender
Makes 1 Cake
4 extra large egg yolks
160ml sour cream
5ml (1 t) vanilla essence
375ml (11/2 C) cake flour
250ml (1 C) Huletts Castor Sugar
60ml (1/4 C) desiccated coconut (optional)
2,5ml (1/2 t) baking powder
2,5ml (1/2 t) bicarbonate of soda
2,5ml (1/2 t) salt
175g butter, softened
375ml (11/2 C) Huletts Icing Sugar
Few drops violet food colouring
Fresh lavender flowers
1. Preheat the oven to 180 ºC.
2. Cake: Combine the egg yolks, 40 ml of the sour cream and vanilla essence and stir well.
3. Sift all the dry ingredients together. Add the coconut, if used.
4. Add the butter and the remaining sour cream and whisk until well mixed. Add the egg mixture in 3 stages and mix well after each addition.
5. Pour mixture into a ring tin and bake for 40 - 45 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and leave to cool in pan for ± 10 minutes before removing. Cool completely.
7. Icing: Add a few drops of warm water to Huletts Icing Sugar, and stir until runny consistency.
8. Remove 1/2 the icing mixture and colour it with a drop of violet food colouring.
9. First drizzle the white icing over the cake and then the violet icing. Decorate with fresh lavender.