Spaghetti and Mince Bake
Serves 4 - 6
45 ml (3 T) sunflower oil
1 onion, finely chopped
30 ml (2 T) masala curry powder
1 small dried red chilli, crushed
3 ml (½ t) turmeric
10 ml (2 t) garlic and ginger
500 g minced beef
4 medium tomatoes, grated
30 ml (2 T) Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar
5 curry leaves, roughly chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
250 g spaghetti
150 g cheddar cheese, grated
1 extra large egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and cook for ± 5 minutes or until soft and lightly browned.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the curry powder, chilli, turmeric, ginger and garlic. Stir through the spices and leave to infuse with the onion for ± 2 minutes until it gives off a spicy aroma.
- Return the saucepan to the heat, add the mince and cook until lightly brown ± 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, curry leaves and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Prepare the spaghetti as per the instructions on the pack. Drain and set aside.
- Spoon a layer of mince into a large oven-proof dish and top with a layer of spaghetti. Repeat layering ending with mince.
- Mix the cheese and the egg yolk together and sprinkle on top.
- Bake until a golden-brown crust forms, about 30 minutes.