Spiced Orange Ice Cream
30ml green cardamom pods
- Place the cardamom pods in a mortar and pestle, gently grind the pods until they open, remove the green pods and grind the black cardamom seeds.
- Place the orange juice and zest in a small saucepan and simmer gently until reduced by half. Cool, and then chill in refrigerator.
- Place the cardamom seeds, cinnamon, milk and cream in a pan, scald and set aside to cool and infuse for at least 30 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks until creamy. Reheat cream mixture, whisk 10ml into the egg mixture, then beat in the remaining cream, a little at a time.
- Stir in the sugar and transfer to a double boiler. Cook, stirring continuously until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Do not allow to boil, or the mixture will curdle.
- Remove from the heat, dip the pan into cold water to stop the cooking process, cool and chill.
- When well chilled, stir the orange mixture and custard together, strain, then churn in an ice-cream maker and freeze.