Spicy Roasted Tomato Salsa with Wonton Crisps
For the base:
30 wonton wrappers
For the salsa:
6 ripe tomatoes, halved
2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 small onion, peeled & quartered
30 ml (2 T) olive oil
10 ml (2 t) Huletts White Sugar
5 ml (1 t) cumin seeds
4 jalapeno chilli peppers, stems and pips removed
65 g tomato paste
10 ml (2 t) Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar
30 ml (2 T) fresh coriander, finely chopped
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 ˚C.
- Place the tomatoes, garlic and onion in a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle the Huletts White Sugar and cumin seeds over the vegetables.
- Roast for 30 - 40 minutes. Remove and throw away the tomato cores and garlic skins.
- In a food processor, coarsely chop the vegetables. Add the jalapenos, tomato paste and Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar and whizz again to combine all the ingredients.
- Transfer it to a bowl and mix in the coriander and check the seasoning.
- Cut the wonton wrappers in half diagonally and fry them in hot oil until golden brown.
- Serve with the salsa.