Serves ± 10
For the Sponge:
420 g cake flour
5 ml (1 t) bicarbonate of soda
20 ml (4 t) baking powder
5 ml (1 t) salt
500 ml (2 cups) boiling water
250 ml (1 cup) oil
420 g Huletts Castor Sugar
5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
10 ml (2 t) white vinegar
250 g soft butter
3 x 250 g packs Huletts Strawberry Flavoured Icing Sugar
125 g fresh strawberries, pureed
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC. Grease and line 3 x 20 cm round cake tins.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt together.
- Mix the water, oil, castor sugar, vanilla and vinegar together.
- Make a well in the flour bowl and pour in the combined liquids.
- Whisk together until smooth and pour into the prepared cake tins.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in tin before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Strawberry icing: In a mixer, combine butter with the Huletts Strawberry Flavoured Icing Sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add strawberry puree and mix until combined.
- Sandwich the layers together with some of the icing using a spatula or palette knife.
- Place remaining icing in a piping bag with a large star tip nozzle and pipe ‘roses’ in a circular motion starting from the centre outwards. Repeat this action until the cake is covered.