Sugar Free Date, Almond Coconut Tartlets
Makes 12 – 16 tartlets
500 ml (2 cups) cake wheat flour
250 ml (1 cup) flaked almonds
- Sift the flour into a bowl, and rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips to resemble bread crumbs.
- Stir in the EquiSweet, eggs, egg yolk and water and mix together to form a soft dough.
- Wrap in cling wrap and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Lightly grease the pastry moulds.
- Roll the pastry into a large rectangle, cut into 10 cm x 5 cm rectangles and press evenly into the pastry moulds.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pastry moulds when cool.
- Toast the flaked almonds until light golden
- Mix the coconut and chopped dates with the toasted almonds, reserving a few almonds to sprinkle on top of the tartlets.
- Stir in the melted coconut oil and EquiSweet.
- Spoon the mixture into the tartlets and serve.
- Excess pastry freezes well for up to 3 months.
Hint: You may use any toasted nuts in the tarts and may add chopped apricots, crushed pineapples or cranberries to the mixture.