Summer Fruit Gateau
3 extra large eggs
105 g (½ cup) Huletts Castor Sugar
110 g (200 ml) cake flour
5 ml (1 t) baking powder
5 ml (1 t) almond essence
110 g butter, melted
For the Icing:
2 extra large egg whites
160 g (1¼ cup) Huletts Icing Sugar, sifted, plus extra for dusting
250 g butter, softened and diced
zest of 1 lemon
1 ml (pinch) salt
400 g mixture of fresh blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
- Grease and line a 20 cm round cake tin.
- Place eggs and castor sugar in a heatproof bowl (stainless steel) and place over a pot of simmering water. Whisk continuously until light and fluffy.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and keep on whisking until the mixture returns to room temperature. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and set aside.
- Add the almond essence to the egg mixture. Stir in the melted butter and lastly fold in the flour.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Icing: Place the egg whites and icing sugar in a heatproof bowl (stainless steel) and place over a pot of simmering water. Beat until thick. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the butter. Mix in the zest and salt and beat until a smooth. Halve each cake horizontally. Spread the icing over the bottom layer and scatter with half of the berries. Top with second layer and top with a dollop of icing and remainder of berries.
- Dust generously with Huletts Icing Sugar.