Tomato Tarte Tatin
Makes 1 medium tarte tatin
60 g butter
60 ml (¼ cup) Huletts Caramel Sugar
5 ml (1 t) dried chilli flakes
350 g baby tomatoes
salt and black pepper, to taste
400 g ready-made puff pastry, defrosted
1 extra large egg, beaten
fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Melt the butter in an ovenproof pan (about 28cm diameter) over low heat.
- Add the Huletts Caramel Sugar and chilli flakes, mix well.
- Add baby tomatoes and sauté until tomatoes are just soft, ± 5 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reduce the syrup in the pan until slightly caramelized.
- Return the tomatoes to the pan and spread to cover the base. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface large enough to cover the top of the pan (28 cm diameter).
- Drape the pastry over the tomatoes and tuck in the edges.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Bake the tarte tatin for 20 – 30 minutes until golden brown and puffed.
- To serve, invert the pan onto a serving dish and garnish with fresh basil.
Hint: The tarte tatin is best served freshly baked as a starter or a side dish to your main course.