Makes ± 36 squares
525 g (625 ml) Huletts Castor Sugar
- Mix castor sugar, glucose and 170 ml water in a saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar has melted. (The mixture should not boil before the sugar has dissolved).
- Brush any sugar crystals around the side of the saucepan with a brush dipped in water.
- Bring to the boil and boil until the softball stage or 115ºC on a sugar thermometer.
- Mix the cornflour with 150 ml water to a smooth paste.
- Mix the sugar syrup gradually into the cornflour mixture.
- Return to the saucepan and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the rose water and red food colouring. (Leave out the colouring at this stage if white Turkish delight is made.)
- Remove from heat.
- Sponge the gelatine in the remaining 100 ml water.
- Melt the gelatine over boiling water or in the microwave.
- Do not boil the gelatine.
- Mix the gelatine into the sugar syrup.
- Line a 17 x 17 cm pan with foil and grease well.
- Pour the mixture into pan and leave to set, preferably overnight.
- Sift the 60 ml icing sugar and 60 ml cornflour together.
- Cut the set mixture into squares and dip into icing mixture until well coated.
Estimated costing, mark-up & suggested selling price
|Electricity / refrigeration:||R 2.00|
|Total expenses:||R 48.89|
|Recommended profit:||R 41.11|
|Recommended selling price per square (R90.00 divded by 36 squares):||R 2.50|
|*Should you use serviettes or paper plates for packaging, remember to include this in your cost|