Vanilla Star Biscuits
Makes ± 100 stars, depending on size
250 g butter, softened
105 g (½ cup) Huletts Castor Sugar
10 ml (2 t) vanilla essence
2 extra large eggs
420 g (3 cups) cake flour
250 g (1 packet) Huletts Strawberry Flavoured Icing Sugar
250 g (1 packet) Huletts Chocolate Flavoured Icing Sugar
Cake decorations of your choice
- Beat the butter and Huletts Castor Sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla essence and beat well.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour and add to egg mixture and mix to form a soft dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and gently roll to form a ball. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Grease and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Slice the dough in half, and roll out one half of the dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of ±4 mm. Use a star shaped biscuit cutter, to cut out biscuit shapes and gently place onto the baking trays. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake biscuits for ±12 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using separate bowls, mix the Huletts Strawberry Flavoured Icing and the Huletts Chocolate Flavoured with 45 ml (3 T) water to form a soft icing. (Add a little extra water if necessary to make the icing runny enough to pipe.)
- Scoop spoonfuls of the icing into the corner of a medium sized plastic bag and twist to secure. (Sandwich bags work well for this.)
- Cut the tip off the corner of the bag (start as small as possible) and gently squeeze the icing out drawing shapes and patterns on the biscuits.
- Decorate to taste. Allow to set.
- Store in airtight containers.