Wild Melon Preserve (Makataan)
Ingredientswild melon peel
lime (available from chemists)
Huletts Yellow Sugar
fresh root ginger
For 1,5 kg wild melon peel you would need:
1,5 kg Huletts Yellow Sugar
2,250 litre water
500 g extra sugar
750 ml extra water
- Remove the soft fleshy part and the green outer skin of the wild melon.
- Prick each piece all over with a fork.
- Cut into squares and weigh.
- Leave overnight in a lime solution (15 ml lime per 3,4 litres water), pour off the lime solution and rinse the pieces well in cold water.
- Place the pieces in boiling water, one at a time so that the water does not stop boiling.
- Cook rapidly for 10 minutes or until the pieces are clear and translucent.
- Prepare syrup using 500 g sugar for every 500 g fruit, and 750 ml water for every 500 g sugar.
- Use an additional 500 g sugar and 750 ml water for every 1,5 kg peel to ensure that there is enough syrup.
- Bring the syrup to the boil and gradually add the pieces.
- Add 15 to 30 ml lemon juice and 3 slices lemon, a pinch of salt and a few pieces of crushed root ginger tied up in a cheesecloth bag.
- Cook rapidly until the pieces are clear and translucent (1 to 2 hours).
- Remove the bag.
- Bottle and seal.