Soft & Squishy Marshmallows
Makes about 40 marshmallows
60 ml ( ¼ cup) Cold Water
- Pour the cold water into a large bowl. Sprinkle the gelatine into the water and leave to soak.
- Add the boiling water and stir until the gelatine is dissolved.
- Add the sugar, egg white and salt. Beat with an electric hand beater for 15–20 minutes until very stiff (so that it holds its shape). Flavour with the vanilla essence.
- If desired, divide the mixture in half and colour one half pink.
- Sprinkle a layer of toasted coconut or sift a layer of icing sugar and corn flour (2 parts to one) into the base of a greased pan.
- Pour in the marshmallow mixture. Dust with the remaining toasted coconut or icing sugar mixture. Leave to set.
- Dip a knife into hot water. Dry it and then use it to cut the marshmallow mixture into strips, each 2.5 cm wide. Remove each strip and cut each strip into 2.5 cm squares. Toss each square in toasted coconut or dust with the icing sugar mixture. Store in an airtight container (in the fridge if it is very humid).