Tannie's Koeksister Recipe
Makes approximately 35 koeksisters
500 ml (2 cups) Cake Flour
- Sift together the dry ingredients and rub in the butter using your fingertips, or cut it in with a pastry blender.
- Mix with the liquid to a soft dough, which can easily be kneaded. Use more liquid if necessary.
- Knead thoroughly until small bubbles form under the surface of the dough, cover with a damp cloth and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Roll to a thickness of 5 mm and cut into 5 mm strips 7 cm long. Place the ends of three strips on top of the other, press together and plait. When plaited, press the ends together again.
- Fry in hot, deep fat (170°C) until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper for a moment and then immerse in ice cold syrup.
- Remove, allow excess syrup to drip off, and leave to dry on a wire rack.
- Put all the ingredients into a saucepan. Heat, while stirring, until the sugar has completely dissolved. Cover and boil for one minute.
- Remove the lid and boil for a further 5 minutes. Do not stir.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool thoroughly in a refrigerator if possible.