Buttermilk Fruit Loaf
Serves 4 - 6
420 g (3 cups) self-raising flour
5 ml (1 t) ground cinnamon
3 ml (½ t) ground nutmeg
3 ml (½ t) salt
190 g (1½ cup) fruitcake mix
375 ml (1½ cup) buttermilk
1 extra large egg
45ml (3 T) honey
100 g (½ cup) Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar 100 ml oil
cherries and blanched almonds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Sift the flour, spices and salt together. Mix in fruitcake mix.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, egg, honey, sugar and oil.
- Add to flour mixture and mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Turn into a lined and greased loaf tin and level top with the back of a spatula dipped into hot water.
- As the batter is fairly stiff, cherries and almonds may be arranged on the top, if desired.
- Bake on middle shelf of oven for 1 hour. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely.