Chocolate Swirl Meringues
Makes ± 60 meringues
4 extra-large egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 120°C.
- Place the egg whites, vinegar and salt in a bowl and beat until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar by the spoonful while beating continuously for about 10 minutes until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Fold in the vanilla essence and sifted cocoa.
- Do not over mix.
- Using two teaspoons, drop heaped spoonfuls about 3 cm apart onto buttered baking trays.
- Bake for about 60 minutes.
- Turn off the oven, leave in oven and allow the meringues to dry out in the oven for about an hour.
- Make sure that baking trays are spread with BUTTER only. Otherwise the meringues will stick to the pan.
Useful Hint: For plain meringues, leave out the cocoa powder. Meringues can be coloured in various colours by adding a few drops of food colouring.
Estimated costing, mark-up & suggested selling price
|Electricity / refrigeration:||R 6.00|
|Total expenses:||R 29.41|
|Recommended profit:||R 24.59|
|Recommended selling price per meringue (R54.00 divided by 60 meringues):||R 0.90|
|*Should you use serviettes or paper plates for packaging, remember to include this in your cost|