Ginger Muffins With Gingerbread Men
Makes 14 - 18 muffins
80 ml (1/3 cup) butter
250 ml (1 cup) Huletts Treacle Sugar
2 extra large eggs
125 ml (½ cup) Huletts Golden Syrup
3ml (½ t) salt
750 ml (3 cups) cake wheat flour
15 ml (1 T) ground ginger
5 ml (1 t) mixed spice
5 ml (1 t) bicarbonate of soda
125 ml (½ cup) full cream milk
125 ml (½ cup) strong black coffee, cold
125 ml (½ cup) butter
250 ml (1 cup) Huletts Icing Sugar
Ginger bread men:
125 ml (½ cup) butter, softened
60 ml (¼ cup) Huletts Icing Sugar
250 ml (1 cup) cake wheat flour
5 ml (1 t) ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease the muffin tins or paper cases.
- Cream the butter and treacle sugar together in a large bowl until creamy, add the eggs and syrup and beat for 2 minutes.
- Sift the salt, flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda together. Add the milk and coffee and mix until evenly blended. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter between the muffin tins or paper cases and bake for about 30 minutes or until a cake skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag and pipe a rosette on top of each muffin.
- Pre heat the oven to 190°C. Grease a baking tin and line with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and icing sugar.
- Add the flour and ground ginger and continue to mix until the mixture forms a soft dough (it will be crumbly at first, but keep mixing to form a dough). Form the dough into a ball with your hands.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly dusted surface to a ½ cm thickness with a dusted rolling pin.
- Using a small gingerbread man cutter, cut men out and place on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes. Cool completely before icing.
- Place some left over icing in a zip lock bag and cut a small hole in the corner.
- Pipe eyes, a mouth and 3 buttons on each little man.
- Decorate the muffins with the men.