Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes 12 sandwiches
350g butter, softened
250ml (1 cup) Huletts Castor Sugar
80 ml (1/3 cup) Huletts Treacle Sugar
1 000 ml (4 cups) cake wheat flour - sifted
5 ml (1 t) salt
500 ml (2 cups) fresh cream
1 x 385g tin sweetened condensed milk
5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
125 ml (½ cup) Huletts Treacle Sugar
Flaked chocolate – if desired
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. 1 x Lightly greased baking tray
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter, castor sugar and treacle sugar together until light and creamy.
- Add the sifted flour and salt to the butter mixture and mix to form a smooth dough.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for an hour to rest.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out to a 1cm thickness and cut into rounds, using a cookie cutter, or a scone cutter, making 24 biscuit rounds.
- Place on a lightly greased baking tray. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until light brown and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer beat the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the condensed milk, vanilla essence and treacle sugar.
- Pour into a flat 40 x 30cm dish and place in the freezer to set.
- Using the same cookie cutter that was used for the biscuits, cut 12 rounds of ice cream.
- Using a cake lifter carefully lift an ice-cream round onto a biscuit, placing another biscuit on top making a ice-cream sandwich and place in freezer until required.
- To serve sprinkle top of biscuit with chocolate if desired.
Tip: You can fold the flavour of your choice into the ice cream.