Poppadum with Tomato Relish and Cucumber Raita
Serves 4 – 6
15ml (1T) Vegetable oil
1 Small onion, finely chopped
10ml (2t) Ground coriander
10ml (2t) Cumin seeds
2 Cardamom pods, lightly crushed
1 Cinnamon stick
2 Red peppers, seeded and chopped
2 Large ripe tomatoes, chopped
100ml Red-wine vinegar
65g Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar
2 Fresh, small red chillies, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
350ml Plain full cream yoghurt
1 Medium sized cucumber, cored, peeled and grated
15ml (1T) Huletts Castor Sugar
5ml (1t) White-wine vinegar
60ml Fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 x 100g Packet poppadum’s
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
MethodTo make the Tomato Relish:
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add the onion and spices. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and cook for a further 5-10 minutes or until the peppers are soft.
- Add remaining ingredients and allow to simmer over low heat for 30 minutes or until relish has thickened.
To make the Cucumber Raita:
- Squeeze out the excess moisture from the cucumber and drain on absorbent paper. Combine yoghurt, cucumber and remaining ingredients season to taste and mix well. Cover and refrigerate.
To make the Poppadum’s:
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and fry poppadum’s as per instructions on the pack. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Spoon tomato relish and cucumber raita into separate bowls and serve with the poppadum’s.
Spoon the tomato relish into hot sterilised jars, seal while hot and refrigerate for up to 1 month.