Savoury Samp and Beans
Serves 4 - 6
500 ml (2 cups) samp
500 ml (2 cups) speckled beans (soak overnight)
1 beef stock cube or a chicken or vegetable stock cube
30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
45 ml (3 T) medium curry powder
1 green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
250 g punnet button mushrooms, sliced
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1x 410 g tin diced tomato
45 ml (3 T) tomato paste
20 ml (4 t) Huletts White sugar
15 ml (1 T) salt
5 ml (1 t) black pepper
- Cover the samp and beans with ample water. Set aside to soak for at least 8 hours or preferably overnight. Rinse and drain.
- Place the samp and beans in a large saucepan, cover well with water, and add a stock cube. Boil until samp is tender and the water is absorbed. (Add extra water if required and drain only if necessary).
- Lightly fry the onion, and garlic until transparent and slightly brown.
- Stir in the curry powder and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the green and red peppers, mushrooms and carrots and fry until soft.
- Add the tomato and tomato paste, then stir in the samp and beans.
- Add Huletts white sugar and adjust seasoning to taste.
Freezes well. Meat may be added.